Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cazalys Palmerston Club

Upon entering the club the non members were unceremoniously told that we needed to hand over photo ID, no explanation given. One club member in our party asked several times if she was required to sign us in - she was rudely ignored. I handed over my student ID card and was told to stand in front of the camera, still no explanation. I asked the young lady behind the counter if there was any written document pertaining to this ritual and was given a look of bewilderment. I had to explain again what I required from this club. Obviously they had nothing prepared and on hand at the counter, I was told that the Manager would bring something to me at my dining table.

When the "Privacy Statement" arrived roughly half an hour later we all read it with interest. Apparently giving my ID to them upon entry gives the club permission to store my information for up to 365 days, share my ID with other clubs using this system and the Police.

I can understand the club wanting to maintain a safe environment for their members, but I did feel that having to hand over my ID plus get my photo taken was a bit obtrusive. If the lady behind the front counter had explained politely why we were asked to do this, or had written information to hand out straight away, it would have been more appropriate.

Anyway, over the first hurdle.....

The club was busy, always a good sign.

Four of us dined this evening, and we were all satisfied with our main meals.
Schezuan Chicken - not a huge meal, but adequate for $15. Very tasty.
Chicken Kiev - tasty, moist chicken, creamy pepper and mushroom sauce.
Stir Fried chili Prawns - an enjoyable meal.

The salad on offer is basic, bordering on boring.
Fresh fruit - rockmelon - a pleasant way to cleanse the palate after spicy dishes.

After having such a tasty main meal we all decided to try our luck with desserts. We shouldn't have!

Baked Cheesecake - bland with a texture not typical of a baked cheesecake. We were adamant this was not baked.
Cream (creme) Brulee - only had a very thin Brulee topping.
Pavlova - small and mushy, lacking the crispy meringue that I love so much.
Sticky Date Pudding with Ice Cream - Pleeeeeease, where is the customary custard that traditionally goes with a sticky date pudding?

Service was great, meals were served promptly, staff pleasant. A drink waiter came to our table several times.

Coffee machine behind the bar - with skinny milk, a bonus.

Poky machines handy in the room next door, free coffee and nibbles for punters.

Later on in the evening the thump, thump music started in the bar next door. Time to go!

The bouncer had kept a watchful eye on us all evening, I wasn't sure if it was because I'd asked for information about the ID process or if he was just doing his usual job. As we were leaving he asked if we needed a taxi called. I thought this was a very helpful gesture and certainly not one offered by bouncers in other local sporting clubs.


5 comments:

  1. A really interesting observation

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the chilli stir fried prawns and it was very enjoyable, and HOT (temperature, as well as flavour)!! how unusual!! I thought the desserts were very ordinary. Would definitely eat their main meal but would give a huge pass on the desserts on future visits.
    I was annoyed that i was ignored when I spoke to the receptionist THREE times on arrival!! Despite this, I thought that the general service was great, especially considering that the dining area was full and had a function to service as well, extra-ordinary when compared to other 'restaurants' we have dined at that were not busy at all and were still unable to provide even basic table service.
    I am very curious to know what was 'a really interesting observation" and what RMT agrees with!!
    ssm

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK club food. Not spectacular but definitely enjoyable. Good service. I've got to say that I don't eat desert there any more. Too expensive and not enough of it. Serving it on a long plate with a pile of cream on one end and the desert on the other doesn't make it worth $7.50. Rather pay $4.50 for the icecream and topping. Actually, rather pay nothing and go elsewhere for desert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apart from being subjected to the rudeness of the woman behind the Front Desk this was a pleasant evening. The Chicken Kiev was tasty thanks to the Pepper and Mushroom sauce but a little too greasy for my palate. The salad was basic but fresh. They serve a lovely steaming large mug of coffee. I am yet to be convinced that the cheesecake on offer was actually baked. Very good service.

    ReplyDelete