Friday, November 12, 2010

Red Lantern - Palmerston

Well...where do we start.
Grimy looking windows, If you walked past through the day time you would not want to enter these premises. Luckily once inside you realise it's the transfers on the windows that make them look this way.
Very ordinary attire worn by the waitress. She looked very much like she was going out for a jog, tight leggings and all.
Comfortable chairs - quite a pleasant change, and a proper tablecloth on the table. Elegant looking menus. Dimmed lights but no candles at the tables.
We waited about half an hour for the first meal to be brought out, and around another ten minutes before the others arrived.
Two of the ladies ordered Laksa Soup, one without pork. When the soups arrived they were told that the chef had not wanted to make a mistake so both soups had no pork. Now, is this a qualified chef, or is he just a cook who does not know what he is doing?
Both of these ladies did not like their Laksa soup. Too watery and no flavour. It was also interesting to note that later on in the evening both of these ladies had headaches and did not feel well.
My meal was quite tasty, prawns with cashew nuts, although I was a bit put off by the odd aroma when it first arrived. I couldn't work out if it was the over abundance of bamboo shoots or the cooking oil used.
The fourth meal was satay prawns, this meal went down well too. I would have to say though that both the prawn meals were quite small.
Quite a few people at the restaurant although not fully booked out. Lots of people ordering take aways. It started to get a bit warm as the air conditioner worked overtime.
They allowed us to pay the bill separately, with no fuss. A plus.
As we were paying our bill a couple left the restaurant telling the staff at the counter that they had only been served their entrees and had been waiting two hours for their main meal. They were not prepared to wait any longer.
Oh I forgot, my plate had a big chip out of it.
Overall I found it inadequate and would not recommend this restaurant to anyone.



12 comments:

  1. Chip on plate!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there before and totally agree about the laksa. Thin, watery and tasteless - even extra red chilli couldn't help it! The Bamboo strips give it a really unpleasant smell. The lighting is subdued to the point where you almost need a torch to read the menu.Give the laksa a big miss and take a braille novel to read while you're waiting and waiting and waiting for your meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow so sorry to read the bad reviews. You obviously didn't try their duck because it is very nice. I have only ordered take away and have been very pleased with the service and food. Maybe they got their priorities wrong when it comes to serving take away before their diners because I have only ever waited 15-20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard lots of good comments about their take aways, as a matter of fact, I haven't heard a bad one!! I read yesterday that the restaurant has only been open 1 month, so think perhaps a new owner since we went... perhaps we should give it another look??

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe you could get take away and eat in the restaurant. Aunty Dot

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can I say? How totally disappointing my favourite Asian soup in the entire galaxy was - RIP Chicken Laksa. At least at the Red Lantern anyway. Would one, or all, of the Chefs please taste this soup? Surely you can tell it just isn't right. Let me know when it's been resurrected as I really would like to write something positive about this dish.
    I know the dining area is small but packing diners in like sardines really doesn't add to the enjoyment of the meal; neither does the far too subdued lighting. The take away section was constantly busy but this led to very slow table service. You would seem to have a balancing act to address.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have to say that I would not totally agree with the comments above. The waitresses are always helpful when I take my family there (even though they may not be dressed for the occassion of work). I have also found that there food there is quite nice especially the crispy duck. Every has their own opinion on the place, but my experience has always been good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. never been to the red lantern, but my friends say its great i have to try it some time :)
    s.t

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although its dingy and the airconditioner doesnt work I find the all the meals that I have tried from there have been awsome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried the Red Lantern recently for the first time on the recommendation of several friends. Small on the outside it may be, but the food and service is SUPERB! The best Chinese food I've had since I lived in Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greatest food in Darwin. I don't get asian from anywhere else. I go the almost weekly. Great priced especially take away and the staff are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not at all happy. Went with 4 other friends. Spider webs with dust near an exit sign blowing around with the aircon. Prawn cutlets overcooked and tasted like stale oil even though it was very early in the evening. Spring rolls had hardly any filling. Main meals not too bad. Charged $4 for 2 glasses for our byo wine and $3.50 for 5 icecubes and water in an ice bucket. One of our group took their own softdrink because she was driving and got charged $2.50 for it. Don't rip of the locals. They talk!!!!
    Parmi locals

    ReplyDelete