Saturday, November 6, 2010

Kenny's Fusion Grill - Palmerston

NOTE - this restaurant has now closed. 

Kenny's is fairly new to Palmerston and is on a site that has seen several other restaurants. One of my friends commented that this might be an omen.

We watched in awe as amazing meals were brought out to other tables. The meals looked huge and customers seemed to be enjoying them immensely.

Our meals arrived. I was disappointed with my choice. Thai Chicken Salad. The chicken was a bit dry and there was far too much chili. I do like chili, but this was too much and spoiled my meal. The salad was pretty basic.

There was much consternation and discussion at the table over how the rice had been presented. A mound of rice with a cherry on top. NO chef would have been trained to serve rice in such a fashion. NO woman wants to be confronted with food that imitates a part of the female anatomy.

Our meals were not as big as those we had seen served to other customers. We then realised they had most likely ordered the specials - quite pricey specials I might add.

I noticed the chef (or is he just a cook) looking through the window of the kitchen door. He kept looking out at the customers. This was a bit off-putting.

Service - Not once were we asked if we would like to order a drink. Kenny's is byo, however they do have soft drinks in a fridge.

Decor - not changed since the last owners had it. Still has the pizza sizes painted up on the wall. Tacky!

For me it was disappointing.

6 comments:

  1. I also was disappointed with the salad, I thought that it was overpriced, and agree that the chicken was not up to scratch, it was too spicy for a salad dish such as this (and I love hot, spicy food). The service was mediocre at best, it was BYO but as a table full of virtually non-drinkers they stood to make a bit on soft drinks had they attended to the table, some attention to our needs could possibly have resulted in our staying for dessert and coffee, instead we spent that portion of our money at Maccas coffe shop, where they were quite happy to tend to our needs with a smile and actually seemed to want our money!! Was disappointed in the restaurant, but enjoyed a great night with good company!! Thanks guys (or girls!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate there on a Friday night recently and have to say the Thai Oysters were amazing - literally the best I've had in Darwin. The meals look very impressive and the food quality appears to be really high. The recent makeover has lifted the restaurant's appearance and the new chairs are much better. The prices are on par with anything else in Darwin at this level, so no surprises there.

    Although it's great they are now Licensed, the drink service was not so good. Not only did we not receive any water upon arrival, when I asked for a glass of water - it didn't arrive at all! I would have asked again, but the staff were having an obviously enthralling conversation in the bar area, so I didn't want to interrupt... I'd expect unlimited cold water at a cafe in Darwin, let alone a restaurant. Especially when buying wine.

    The beer selection is poor at best, with no international beers on offer.

    Overall, great food worth coming back for, pleasant enough atmosphere, but need some improvements on the drinks service side to help combat its Palmerston Location

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that the food is a tad overpriced; especially their salads. When we went we got no service apart from being shown our table and having our order taken. Yep, the staff were catching up on the gossip when we were there too. Really don't know if I'd bother going back. Maybe if someone else was paying...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Thai Chicken Salad was tasty but not special. I also thought that the serve was undersize for the price. I don't know; I just didn't enjoy the whole experience very much. The decor was a bit pfftt! The service was almost non existant after our order was taken, we weren't asked if we wanted drinks and on the way out they tried to charge us a corkage fee for our non-existant alcohol. It was just all a bit 'bland' for want of a better word. I hope the wait staff have improved their service since I last visited and that they are now actually taking drink orders since they have a license.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally love the food at this restaurant. I have had the steaks and the chicken dishes and both were lovely. Yes they are a bit pricy but at the same time all my meals were large and the staff had been extremely friendly. Not once was my glass empty and I was often asked if I wanted another drink. All in all, I loved it and go back regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. went to Kennys on 6th May 2011 and was very impressed. The entrees were great - the peanut sauce was to die for and the cajin ribs were yummy. For mains, two of us had fish meals, one a curry and the other garlic prawns.
    Highly recommend to go for a great meal.

    ReplyDelete