Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Hub - Palmerston



The Hub has been around for years. Family oriented sports club, situated next to CMAX cinema.

Over the years the Hub has changed chefs several times. Some good, some not so good. I had heard on the grapevine that the present chef was okay, so decided to book a table for Friday night.

Line up and order your meal, typical club style. Menu hasn't changed in years. Same old thing.

Staff are pleasant and do their job adequately.

The salad bar had the usual salads offered, I tasted most of them and found them all to be quite tasty indeed. The potato salad was divine.

We didn't have to wait too long for our meals. I ordered the Chicken breast with garlic prawns. I'd have to say the chicken was a bit dry. It's hard to find a restaurant that doesn't over cook a chicken breast. The sauce with the garlic prawns was too salty. I love my chips, but these ones just weren't crispy enough for me. I actually left some on my plate!

Surrounded by local children - I had forgotten that families come here for dinner. I felt like I needed to hide. Maybe they should set up an area with tables that have no children.

Decor - how many colours can you see? It looks like they bought all the paint that was on special at Bunnings.

Gaming - spend your money and get a lovely hot chocolate and piece of fruit cake. Now, that was pleasant.

Overall - I was hungry so the meal hit the spot. But it was a club meal, nothing overly special.


4 comments:

  1. I was surprised at the huge changes since the last time I went to The Hub, unfortunately the changes didn't extend to the menu!!
    I had grilled barramundi with creamy garlic prawns..... at least that's what i ordered!! The fish could hve been barra, it's a little hard to tell these days with that particular fish. The meal looked beautiful, but the sauce was far from creamy, I would question whether cream was even used!! and very salty tasting, spoiling the meal, which I ate regardless, a practice I intend to stop.
    It was really pleasant to sit in the lounge area and chat with good friends after a flutter on the pokies and a hot coffee.
    The kids in the dining room didn't bother me so much, but I am usually surrounded by kids and after all, they were not at our table!!
    I am really enjoying our Friday nights, an am left wondering... why have we not done this sooner??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hub, is the Hub, is the Hub. You always get a decent meal here with a bread roll and access to the salad bar. There's never an excuse for going hungry given that you can OD on salad. Desserts are as desserts are in many places; good but not spectacular and over priced. The Pokies and the bar can be added on to dinner to make for a very enjoyable night out. Kids... well, it is a family club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't like what they've done with the dining area for lunch. I'm not sure if this is a permanent arrangement as I haven't eaten here for a while but putting tables in the lounge area just doesn't feel or look right. It's too crowded with tables. If lunch patrons aren't eating here perhaps they need some sort of incentive scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the go here? the wife showed me this site and I gotta say that there's never cake when we're playing the pokies and no biscuits either. Don't bother asking for any either otherwise you have to put up with a lecture about people taking more than their fair share. Come on guys.I'm a regular and put over a hundred through your machines each time I'm there. Hide em behind the counter or whatever but lets have em back.
    PO'd

    ReplyDelete