Saturday, February 26, 2011

Cafe Durack

This week we decided to stay local and eat as cheaply as possible due to a fairly expensive dining experience coming up next week. Hence we ate at Cafe Durack, Palmerston, which you will find beside the service station at the bottom of Durack.

When we drove up to the cafe, on dusk, we nearly didn't stop. The tinted windows and no sign of life gave us the impression the cafe was closed. Luckily for them we took a closer look. My first advice to the owners would be to put some brighter lighting outside or some  sort of flashing open neon sign; I'm sure others driving past would have also got the impression it was closed. It wasn't until much later, when it had become dark, that you could notice the lights inside.

Upon entering we found a warm and inviting cafe with delicious cakes on display and an interesting menu. We chose the Durack Burger, Fish and Chips, and Beef Curry.

Durack Burger - $12.50 - homemade beef pattie, egg, bacon, cheese, salad and chips. This was a BIG burger and certainly was a filling meal. The homemade pattie was rather bland lacking in flavour, however it had melted cheese over it which saved the day. The chips were hot and crispy.



Fish and Chips - $15.95 - local Threadfin Salmon, salad and chips. (With this meal you could have a choice between Barramundi or Threadfin Salmon.)  The meal was served with a garden salad and crispy chips. It was a big meal and certainly enjoyable.


Beef Curry - $9.95 - curried beef and rice. This meal was ordered off the special's board. It was a small serve, if you're really hungry you would be better off with one of the more substantial meals on offer. The curry was really spicy, which may not be to everyone's liking. The meat was tender and lean. This was a very ordinary looking meal with no garnish.



We finished our evening with coffee and Apple Pie. We were saved from fake whipped cream by being allowed to have icecream with it.  For me the apple pie was rather bland, I would have preferred some sweetness or extra flavour in it, such as cinnamon. Perhaps if it had been warmed up it would have improved the taste. All their cakes are made on site by the cook and I would have to say they all looked really delicious.

The cafe was not busy, we wondered how many people had driven past not realising it was open. It has potential; the staff are pleasant, the menu is adequate and the cafe itself is clean and inviting. There is also an outside eating area. Their prices are good compared to the size of the meal served. If you are looking for a low key dining experience, this may be the place for you.

5 comments:

  1. This evening I ordered the Beef Curry from the Specials Board. Fortunately I wasn't very hungry as it was quite a small serve. I don't have a very spicey palette so I would have liked this to have been advertised as a spicy curry but I'm sure that others might not agree given that the 'heat' issue with curries tends to be personal. The meat was lean and tender. I did enjoy the beef curry but ate it quite slowly.
    It was great to see a cabinet of home made cakes; all looked very tasty. I settled on the apple pie - one of my favourites. I agree that the icecream was a better accompaniment than the tinned whipped cream. Far too many desserts are served with this textureless cream. Fresh whipped cream always lifts a dessert and adds to the indulgence factor. After all, indulgence is what dessert is all about. A sprinkle of sugar on the top of the pie would have made it even more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the massive fences around it so it is safe for wandering babies so near to car park. Had a milkshake and burger here and Loved it. I think the fish and chips look so yummy may have them for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best quiche I have ever eaten, however bacon eggs was ok toast was a very nasty cheap brand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Cafe Durack, they have awesome fish and chips and lovely service

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love way Cafe Durack cook hot chips, fresh & never burnt.
    Great coffee, My husband and I got back every weekend for a coffee fix. Also best bacon and egg sandwiches I have ever tasted.
    This cafe is Durack's best kept secret.. don't tell too many people :-)

    ReplyDelete