Saturday, August 27, 2011

Vietnam Saigon Star

This restaurant is located on Smith Street. There is an enclosed dining area built right beside the road, and some extra seating inside the main building. We chose to sit in the main building which turned out to be a unique experience as we were able to watch and hear the goings on of the kitchen staff.

We began our meal with Wonton Soup and Chicken and Mushroom Soup,$4.50 each. The perfect size bowl for an entree and the most delicious soup I've had for a long time. The Chicken and Mushroom Soup was a broth with lots of chicken and mushrooms and just the right amount of spice. There were three wontons in the Wonton Soup. This was a good start to our meal.

The orders are rushed out sizzling hot without too much wait time. However, we did have a short wait between the two soups being served. Maybe in future the cooks could make sure that the entrees are ready at the same time.




Chicken with Mongolian Sauce, $17.00. This meal looked great, had a tasty, spicy sauce and was enjoyed immensely.


Fish with Cashew Nuts and Vegetables, $18.50. Lots of small pieces of Flake, a good mixture of vegetables and heaps of cashews all in a tasty oyster sauce.









We ordered a large bowl of steamed rice which turned out to be a generous serving.

The timing of meals being served needs to be considered. Our main meals were actually served before we had finished our soup and I felt rushed.



We decided to try their desserts as they were reasonably priced. We ordered Fried Ice-cream and Banana Fritter, $5.00 each. They were a good size, well worth the $5.00. Both desserts were made with good quality ice-cream.


A large pot of refreshing and calming Chinese Tea complemented our meal.

I would have no hesitation visiting this restaurant again. The service is great, you don't have to wait long for your meal, the food is delicious and the prices are reasonable.

1 comment:

  1. I have walked past the Saigon numerous times but am so pleased that I finally walked through the door.
    The Menu had a wide variety of tasty dishes on offer so it was actually quite difficult to make a selection but, me being me, my eyes drifted straight to and settled on the chicken dishes. The Mongolian Chicken was exactly the right choice for me. It was tasty, the chicken was tender and there were enough vegetables to keep me happy. The serve was generous to the point that I really didn’t need the steamed rice at all.
    My Wonton Soup entrĂ©e started the meal on a high note. The clear soup was packed with flavor and included 3 delectable wontons. My choice of dessert was motivated by the fact that I hadn’t eaten a banana in ages. I enjoyed a perfectly delicious fritter with icecream. Not spectacular but definitely satisfying. Together with the pot of Chinese green tea this was undoubtedly one of the best meals I’ve enjoyed in a very long time.
    I agree that there were problems with timing but the friendly service and quality of the meal made this a trifling consideration. Please take the time to stop in and try something from the menu. I’m sure it will be worth it.
    Hungry, Hungry Hippo

    ReplyDelete