Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Elements - Chef's Table



We had waited with eager anticipation for the Chef's Table at Elements. Sean Gould, the manager, had emailed through the menu so we could advertise on our blog.
It was disappointing for Sean to see that he had not filled the tables; last minute cancellations dwindling the numbers.

The advertised menu was changed slightly, with cheesecake being offered as the dessert. A truly delicious cheesecake, one that brought questions for the chef at the end of the night. Unfortunately he was forced to admit that he had not cooked the cheesecake, and that it had been bought. This I felt was a massive blunder on their behalf. When showcasing your staff's culinary expertise you should only serve dishes that have been cooked on site. The cheesecake blunder  made me shake my head in despair.

The evening had started off on a better note. The Deluxe Canapes had interesting toppings. Salami with kiwifruit, tomato salsa and mustard cream; Camembert cheese, strawberry and sweet balsamic vinegar; ham, cucumber, and salsa with chilli lime pesto. Interesting flavours that complemented each other. It was a shame though that all three canapes were on bread bases. If different  base options had been chosen we would have experienced a different taste sensation with each one.



Our entree was Marinated Tasmanian Salmon, Avacado Prawn Maki and Asian Slaw with Wasabi Lime Cream. It was presented beautifully, the salmon and Maki tasted great together, and with just a touch of Wasabi it wasn't overpowering.  I'm not a great fan of salmon but I found this entree palatable. The Asian Slaw was really interesting.




I would have to say that I was disappointed with the main meal. The Middle Eastern Spiced Pistachio Crusted Lamb Terderloin was massacred. Yes, the pistachio crust was crunchy and very tasty with its mild curry - clove, cardamom and cumin. The lamb, however had been overcooked. All three of my pieces were chewy, to say the least. After asking the diners on either side of me I ascertained that out of nine pieces of lamb, only one was tender. The presentation was elegant, and the vegetables were edible. I particularly enjoyed the snow peas.


A fish course was offered to those who did not want to try the lamb. A huge slab of fish was presented for their enjoyment. A little overcooked being a little dry in places, however it was enjoyed immensely.



I had been looking forward to the Mixed Berry Mousse with Saffron Mango and Pears, but alas that was not to be. As stated previously, I did enjoy the dessert. In fact, this to me was the best course of the evening. And as it turned out, the one course not fully prepared by the chef at Elements. They did make the chocolate basket with fruit, which I would have to say was interesting. The basket tasted like Oreo chocolate biscuits. I felt it was a mismatch though, the white chocolate sauce didn't quite match the lemon cheesecake.



We had been served with a different wine with each course. Trilogy champagne to complement the canapes, 2006 Barossa Chardonnay to complement the entree, 2007 Cabernet Merlot or 2009 Barossa Valley Grenache to complement the main meal, and 2008 Botrytis Semillon to complement the dessert.  I'm not a wine fanatic, so can't make a lot of comment on them apart from the fact that the Semillon was heavenly.  Kain Fowden, from Pernod Ricard Australia, assured us that we would be able to purchase these wines locally, from the Hub.

I expected a culinary adventure in a semi  formal atmosphere with a little wine to taste with each course. I got instead an abundant amount of wine, in a casual, party atmosphere. We were treated to tippets of information relating to the food and wine. Diners were asked to comment and  it was interesting to note that those present were more inclined to speak about the wine. Not a lot was said about the food. A lot of wine consumed and a lot of stories told at our table, some of these stories were just a little over the top, especially when coming from the manager.

When the food and beverage staff came out at the end of the evening we were allowed to fire our questions at them. Once the chef  admitted to buying the cheesecake I was disappointed but somehow not surprised.

(Photo removed by request from the Free Spirit Resort Staff)


I'd like to thank Sean and his staff for putting on the Chef's Table. You didn't quite pull it off this time, but I'm sure that in the future you will not make the same mistakes.






5 comments:

  1. It never ceases to amaze me that different people can have such different expectations and outcomes from an experience shared.
    Even though I had passed the original menu on to my friends, I had all but forgotten what it contained, other than that the main dish was to contain lamb.
    Although I like lamb, I cannot think of a time I have ever ordered it when I go out for a meal, when I was given the choice of fish, I was more than happy to accept that alternative. Whilst a little overcooked in parts it was the tastiest piece of fish I had eaten in a long while.
    Last time I ate at Elements, on their Sri Lankan night, I tried food that in the past I always avoided, and the same went for the Chefs Table.
    I am not a lover of Japanese food and sushi has never appealed to me... until the entree last evening I had never eaten anything wrapped in seaweed!! Now I have, and enjoyed the experience, so will 'do it again'! I loved the fish and the 'salad', new flavours for me, and my favourite course of the evening by far.
    I thought the cheesecake was lovely, a little unfortunate it wasn't made by the chefs, however was disappointed that I hadn't asked where it had come from, though it certainly won't hurt me to not know...
    I found the information about the wines interesting, and particularly liked the sparkling wine served with the canapes, I plan on drinking a little more of that.
    I personally enjoyed the informal atmosphere. But as mentioned earlier, we all go away with something different.
    The staff were very attentive , and I
    had a very enjoyable evening.
    Thank you to Sean, Kain and the team at Elements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guys,
    Firstly thanks for attending on Monday night, it was nice to meet you. I've read your review and taken on board the comments on how you viewed the evening. Without going on the defensive in anyway I would like to just say this event is in it's infancy and we are looking to improve all facets of not only this on going event and our F&B department but the whole resort. I do honestly enjoy all feed back be it good or bad as without the feed back we can't go forward with the improvements we are striving for!
    I agree that the lamb was over cooked and also that I was disappointed with bought cheesecake! I will have to pay more attention to the detail next time. I have spoken to chef and he has read your comments with me and is thankful for your honest appraisal. As I've already stated
    we are trying to be the best we can be. The next "Chefs Tables" is for Monday the 28th of March. I hope to see you there if not beforehand.
    Regards
    Sean Gould
    Manager FreeSpirit Resort

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the most informal Chef's Table I have ever attended. It was disappointing that more information about the food wasn't forthcoming. It would have been interesting to hear about the usual aspects such as sourcing, regionality and preparation techniques.
    The canapes were enjoyable although all 3 were presented on a bread base. I thoroughly enjoyed the Asian Slaw. It was fresh, tasty and complemented the other items on the plate. I was told that the lamb was to be served medium rare and was pleasantly surprised when it appeared on the table well done (readers of this blog will remember that I'm not a big fan of red meat).Of my three pieces, one was absolutely 'melt in the mouth'. I enjoyed this course. As for dessert, I was disappointed that the menu had been deviated from especially in favour of a bought cheesecake however I did return an empty plate.
    The highlight of the wine tasting for me was the Botrytis Semillon. It was sweet, smooth, fruity and as far as I'm concerned, a gift from the Heavens. Please, please try it.
    Kudos to Sean and his staff on such a wonderful event. Chef's Table evenings are usually a vehicle for the Chef to show off his culinary expertise. I felt that this was not the Chef's usual area of cuisine and really look forward to attending a Chef's Table that allows him to showcase what he does best.
    Would I reccommend that you attend one of these events? Yes! This is exactly what Darwin needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post and the pictures make me hungry!
    It makes me want to go to the next one for some fun and interesting food. So its the 28th of March.. now how do I convince some one to look after the twins.. If there is a new menu that would be great.

    - Congratts to the team at Elements on what seems to be a great start of a fun tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to pass by and grab a handful of those foods above. As I see they added more dishes on the menu. Thanks for updating the list.

    ReplyDelete