Saturday, January 29, 2011

Prickles

Prickles BYO Restaurant is located in the Parap Shopping Village. The meals range from $19.50 for the Vegetarian Nachos to $29.50 for the Angus Scotch, with the majority of meals being $23.50.

I would have to say that by the time we left this restaurant we were all feeling somewhat PRICKLY!

The night started well with two interesting entrées.
Balls of Fire - cream cheese and jalapeños deep fried, served with capsicum jam and sour cream. $11.50
These Balls of Fire were delicious, even though we were left wondering where the capsicum jam was.
Trio of Dips - guacamole, frijoles, and chili con queso, served with char grilled tortilla bread. $16.50
Two out of three were very tasty. Unfortunately the frijoles was bland, lacking in spices.
Entrées


After seeing the entrées I was feeling optimistic that our main meals would be just as appetising. Little did I know that we had such a huge disappointment in store for us.

Tostada - crispy fried corn tortillas, sauteed vegetables, with a choice of either beef/chicken/chili con carne/ or mashed pinto beans.( I chose chicken and chili con carne.) Topped with melted cheese, salsa and fresh lettuce, $23.50. Mushy chicken,  minced meat! Plus the stodgiest, most revolting rice I've ever come across. The crispy fried tortillas were no longer crispy as they were sitting on this bed of stodgy rice, which by the way, was not advertised on the menu. The only thing that remotely redeemed this meal was the spice in the chili con carne.

Tostada
Fajito - sizzling strips of spicy marinated rump served with 3 flour tortillas, grated cheese, lettuce, salad and sour cream, served on a hot plate, $27.50. Chewy steak, scant salad, small serving. Check out the comments below as I'm sure that SSM will have lots to say about why she did not enjoy this meal.
Fajito

Fajito
Trio of Tacos - combination of beef, chicken, chili con carne, mashed potato beans, topped with a rich tomato salsa and fresh lettuce, $23.50. These tacos were also served on top of that stodgy, revolting rice resulting in soggy tacos. Why is a mexican restaurant making chili con carne with minced meat? Don't they know how to make a traditional chili con carne?
Trio of Tacos

I ate because I was hungry, and having lived in Darwin most of my life I wasn't sure what Mexican food should taste like.  My companions, on the other hand, have experienced the best in Mexican food and both of them were horrified at what was served up. One commented, "possibly the best part of the meal was the sour cream."

We noted that no tea or coffee was on the menu. We also noted that the waitress did not come back to our table to take our order for drinks, the ones we had told her we would order with our meals. No desserts, no drinks - get your meal down and go!

Upon leaving we told our waitress that we were disappointed with the meals. She promptly went to get the lady in charge and left us to explain once again what we didn't like. There was no sorry, no offer of a discount, no offer to come back on another night, nothing apart from an explanation on how the "cook" had been fired and that the owner of the restaurant was now the "cook."  She was surprised to hear that we hadn't enjoyed the meals. My advice to this team is that they should travel down south and try out some authentic Mexican restaurants.

PRICKLES, PRICKLES, PRICKLES!

16 comments:

  1. Took my girlfriend here for a good night out. Both didn't like the food. Had the mushy tacos with the dried out orange rice. She was pretty upset that she couldnt get coffee or desert. Told my mates not to bother comming here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People looking for a fun night out with good food should ignore this post. One thing the poster did get right is that the fireballs are a specialty and are delicious. Locals love the place and return again and again, many on a weekly basis. On the main menu the fajitas are particularly appealing. The staff are always friendly and fun, and through some of the comments by the poster I could imagine some frustration with three old ducks whining over petty things. Now remember, this is a FUN venue, hence the BYO drinks option and the many functions held there. If your coming in for a cup of Earl grey instead of a carona, your in the wrong place. Perhaps this self proclaimed food critic, apparently much more accustomed to the class and sophistication of dolly oriellys and karma tavern, should stick to their tea and scones at the local RSL club. If you want a real opinion, asked a local where they take visiting guests. Ben from Fannie Bay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wanted to go to Prickles forever! I love mexican food, so when it was decided that this would be our destination this week, I was quite ecstatic!!
    The restaurant looked nice when we arrived, subdued lighting, quite a few tables filled, a good sign.
    We decided to order a couple of entrees, not something we usually do, but there were a couple of dishes I wanted to try. The balls of fire I thought were delicious, but was looking forward to trying the capsicum jam as this would be a new taste for me.... it still will be, as I never actually saw any, even though the menu said the balls would be served with it, it didn't however, detract from my enjoyment of this particular dish. I didn't particularly enjoy the frijole, but not everyone has the same tastes, and now I know.
    I ordered fajitas, one of my all time favourite mexican dishes. I saw little resemblence to any mexican dish I have ever eaten, either in the look or the taste. I recieved a sizzle platter of what looked like stir fry beef and tasted like almost burned tomato paste. My 4 year old grand daughter could have made a more appealing presentation of a salad, which consisted of a little shredded lettuce, some chopped tomato and onion (together.... perhaps an attempt at salsa????) and a mound of grated cheese .. very ordinary. It was, however,edible. $27.50??? I won't do that again!!
    Had I ordered the taco trio, as did one of our number, I would have sent it back to the kitchen as when I was offered a 'taste' I found them totally inedible. To add insult to injury, they were 'planted' in a mound of gluggy, tasteless rice, which only served to make the tortillas soggy, rendering them impossible to eat without them falling apart in the attempt.
    I was disappointed that the wait staff didn't ask for our drink orders as we had indicated we would order drinks with our meals.Other than that, until we were leaving, the wait staff were pleasant and made sure that we had plenty of cold water on our table, the drinks were not missed.
    On leaving I told the staff member, who was ringing up our bill, that I had been disappointed with the visit and the meal. She said she would pass that on, then proceeded to delete what she had already rung up, told another staff member to 'come here'.... and walked away without another word to us OR an explanation to the other staff member!!
    I was disappointed with the meal and doubly disappointed with the totally unproffessional and rude attitude of that staff member.
    I have waited a long time to go to Prickles, I have been and will probably never go back!!
    What a disappointment!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Check your photo of the Fire Balls, did you think sour cream comes with a streak of red like toothpaste? Thats your capsicum jam. Ben

    ReplyDelete
  5. In reply to Ben of Fanny Bay. I work very hard for my money and when I pay for a meal i expect to have something well presented and edible. Apparently we 'old ducks' are not the only customers who are unimpressed with what we paid our hard earned cash for. If you enjoy their food you are entitled to your opinion and welcome to post it.
    We would have liked a drink but didn't have the opportunity to order when we wanted it, and yes, a cup of Earl Grey, or a coffee is always a nice way to finish a meal, not an option at prickles.
    I wasn't aware that the restaurant aimed for a clientelle of partiers and drunks but thought that we could go and enjoy a good meal, a nice drink, and pleasant company. I will be sure to check in the future.
    We do not claim to be food critics, rather rather we are very ordinary, hard working people who have chosen to make a comment on what and how we are served when we go out for a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ben! You like Prickles - others don't. I looked at the Fireball photo and if something said served with a capsicum jam, I would be expecting a decent amount to complement the food, not a smear to decorate the sour cream. You love the place and the ladies didn't; c'est la vie!
    keep going ladies. You're obviously having a great time and I really enjoy reading what you're up to. Ben from Palmo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found Ben's comments quite insulting. To refer to the ladies as 'old ducks' was uncalled for.I'm a local and I certainly don't make Prickles my destination of choice when I have visiting guests. And guess what? If the RSL had great tea and scones you would be mad not to go there. Kelly, Parap

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! Some of us don't like it others do. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Chill out Ben. Power on ladies.
    Pussycat - Purrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a long term Darwin resident and have two young daughters that loooove Mexican food. In past years Prickles has been a favourite destination that has a warm and inviting atmosphere. Unfortunately in my opinion the quality of the food has declined over the years as has the service. As a family we enjoy eating out but as there are 4 of us it can be costly. It is very disappointing when we feel like we have paid for "crap" and leave feeling ripped off. Prickles is not a place we vote for anymore, with even the kids stating that the food is bland/oily/stodgy.
    Sorry Benny boy from Fannie Bay......you can have Prickles!!
    you won't catch me spending my $$$ there.
    Keep up the good work ladies....love your work.
    Bushy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was absolutely aghast at the attitude of the waitress on the evening. She seemed genuinely unable to comprehend that anyone would dare to complain about the food.She was unwilling to listen and looked as though she was trying to contain her temper which eventually got the better of her as she had to very abruptly walk away and have someone else serve us.Fortunately the next person was a little more receptive although she didn't offer any recompense for the below standard meal.If restaurants took more notice of feedback from their diners instead of taking offence standards would surely improve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prickly Prickles. Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Food critics should be professional and knowledgeable,think that you guys need to be bit more professional when criticizing.so if you all don't like Prickles please don't patronized there.but don't ruin there name because you all don't have any other work to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. we have been visiting this out let for long time we never had problem with their food so pls do not ruin their food. If you really do not like their food pls do not go , thank you ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nobody except them are ruining their food. Of course people aren't going to go back if they don't like it. If you like it then keep going.
    As for the Anonymous first 10.34pm, you sound like the Manager mate. Suck it up. If you can't handle suggestions your food will never improve.
    Eveyone is entitled to their opinion. Bagging out on the ladies is just desperate. In my opinion, and no I'm not a food critic just like these lot say they're not, someof the food is ok and some of it's not so hack it!
    Terry, Friend of freedom of speech.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is Aunty Dot. I've been reading this Prickles saga for some time now. I've eaten here and at times haven't enjoyed it at all. At other times I've liked the food. Whatever the case rudeness is no defence. Everyone is entitled to their opinion be it good or bad. If Prickles' food is as great as Anonymous says then absolutely nothing will ruin their reputation. I don't understand why this seems to be the only restaurant post hurling insults and accusations. No-one is trying to ruin Pricles' reputation. Sounds a bit like sour Prickles to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I repeat, Prickly Prickles.

    ReplyDelete